Tuesday, September 28, 2010

José Theodore's Agent Talked With Wild GM

There was an article in the Minneapolis St.Paul Star-Tribune Monday about the José situation. Here's the article on their site, but I'll copy and paste below.

If the Wild is interested in bringing in free agent Jose Theodore to replace injured Josh Harding, the longtime NHL goaltender would be interested in coming, his agent said Monday night.

Don Meehan, whose firm also represents Harding, said he spoke with Wild General Manager Chuck Fletcher on Sunday about Theodore.

"When Chuck called to tell me Harding would be out for the season, Chuck said to me, 'Look, I've got to make a move.' And I said, 'Keep me in the loop. Jose Theodore is available,'" Meehan said. "He said, 'That's certainly an interesting possibility.'

"I told Chuck to keep me in mind. I think they'll probably get their staff together and assess where they go from here, but I'd say, 'It's a consideration for them, yes, and Jose would be intrigued by Minnesota.'"

Theodore, who was the NHL's 2002 winner of the Hart (MVP) and Vezina (best goaltender) trophies, is training every day as he waits for an opportunity. Meehan said Theodore, 34, hasn't ruled out playing in Europe.

In 13 seasons with Montreal, Colorado and Washington, Theodore is 245-221-52 with a 2.68 goals-against average and .908 save percentage. He was 30-7-7 last season with the Capitals.

For Theodore to come to Minnesota, he likely would have to accept a salary around $1 million as the Wild creeps close to the $59.4 million salary cap. Meehan said he would want to first see if the Wild officially expresses interest before discussing salary with Theodore.

Fletcher is keeping his options open and admits he has received several calls from teams looking to trade a No. 2 or No. 3 goaltender.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Spam comments are not approved.